Tuesday, March 3, 2009

About Me Update


On December 2 I talked about my part in the social media -- my About Page.  

Three months can be a long time.   Things have changed.  I'm more focused.  

In order for me to talk about my 30 day plan, I need to talk about who I am and why I do what I do.  This is the first day of the 30 day plan.

Lesson One:  Have A Great About Me Page!  

We need to develop trust in order to have clients support what we do.  One good way to do that is to paint a picture of who you are.  It's also important to show why you've chosen the industry you are in.   I'm going to re-write my About Me page.  Read along and see if you can find out who I am - and why I want to work from home.

My name is Debra Brown.  I was born and raised on a farm in Iowa, went to school at Luther College and lived, married, and raised kids in Chicago for 30 years.  Now, I'm back in Iowa.  Why?  

My parents are older and not well.  Dad had a heart attack and two strokes a couple of years ago. He also has early Alzheimers.   He's a retired farmer who can no longer walk his fields.  He has no feeling in his hands, so he can't do his woodworking anymore.  He walks with a walker and hates it.   It was then we decided it was time to move back and help take care of them.  

I had the dream to move back to the family farm, grow a garden, work from home around my schedule and have a leisurely kind of lifestyle.  My children are grown and my grandkids live in Chicago.  I figured I would visit them often.

Well, I got most of my dream.  I live on the family farm, I do have a garden every year, I do work from home, I do visit Chicago often.  I also take care of my parents' paperwork (amazing how much legal, insurance, Medicare, retirement, church paperwork there is!).  I write for a local newspaper everyday, I have three blogs I write for everyday, I teach classes at Iowa Valley Community College.  I'm increasing my knowledge of social media marketing and teaching others as well.  

Then there's the dream job: I expand the customer database for my company and help others build their business.  I do it around my schedule and often in my pajamas.  I can do it at home or when I'm on the road.  I love it!  I don't sell products, collect money or deliver products.  I simply introduce people to the company and show them how to switch stores, save time and money and get green products in their home. I'm always looking for people who want to join my team and create the kind of life they want to live.  I have fun and get paid for it too

I volunteer at the Historical Society, read a lot, travel when I can (www.travelwoman.com for pics), go to the movies with friends, garden and am active with my church.   Nothing leisurely about my day - and I love it that way.  I'm doing the things I want to do. I have freedom, balance and joy in my life.    

My friend once told me - you can work for the man, or be the man.   Guess which choice I took? 

Okay - did you see:
1. a story that compelled you to read more
2. a conversation about my work
3. things I like to do in my free time
4. a picture relevant to the story
5.  a closing that inspires 

What would you add?  Or take away?  Do you feel like you know me a little better? What's your story?  

No comments: