Saturday, June 20, 2009

Perfect


I've been thinkin' ......

I've started Debworks and then got lost in trying to make it 'perfect'. The perfect rate sheet. The perfect description of what I do. The perfect website. The perfect mindset. The perfect circle of associates. The perfect clients.

I hate that word perfect. It's not working! I find myself frozen when I have to work on something I need to be perfect. There is no perfect.

Neal Donald Walsh said this:

Many people live within a "you-made-your-bed, now-you-have-to-lie-in-it" paradigm, in which they hold the thought that whatever they decide about their life mission, life purpose, life goals, and overall life agenda has to be the "right" decision, or they will have "messed things up." In fact, in every creative process (and creating one's whole life is certainly that), nothing stops the forward momentum faster than the idea that "I have to get this right."

With regard to that, my father taught me something wonderful and really quite extraordinary when I was a teenager. "Son," he said during a time when I was striving very hard to do something to perfection, "there is no `right way' to do anything. There's only the way you are doing it.

So I'm letting go of the need to be perfect. I am striving to be better. I'm working towards a great business. I'm asking for help and offering assistance. I'm really just being me, in the moment, and having fun.


The photo is me in front of the Parthenon in Athens, Greece. It's a perfect building -- yet it's in ruins.




2 comments:

Fred H Schlegel said...

Few of us don't live in a world of works in process and best for now. Even when poring cement all you can do is the best possible at that time, and if you don't pour when it's ready you end up with a truck sized paperweight. Good philosophy, right track!

Deb Brown said...

Thanks Fred - you are right, we can only do the best we can do. And keep practicing so the best gets better. Love the truck sized paperweight analogy!
@debworks