Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day in Our House


Father's Day may be a Hallmark holiday. We don't care - we take it very seriously.


My dad has a bad heart, bad knees and early Alzheimers. Some days are better than others. All his days are numbered. Some days he's a real character. Some days he can be an asshole. Most days he doesn't remember the day before.


Here's the thing, imperfect as he is - he's been there. There are 24 million people in the U.S. who were raised with no father present. My dad taught me the power in working hard. I learned to be my word from my Dad. I can argue with the best of them - and my dad was often my debate partner (on the other side).


Happy Father's Day Dad!


(picture taken last winter - hat was a gift from me, sucker a gift from his 4 y/o great grandson. )

No comments: